Instructions for Taking Acebutolol
The recommended starting dose of acebutolol for controlling an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia) is 200 mg twice daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase the dose up to a maximum of 600 mg twice daily.
A lower dosage is usually recommended for elderly individuals; in such patients, the maximum recommended dosage is usually 800 mg total per day. Elderly individuals do not metabolize acebutolol or clear it from the body as quickly as younger people.
Some considerations for people taking acebutolol include the following:
- Acebutolol comes in capsule form. It is usually taken by mouth twice a day.
- You can take this drug either with a meal or on an empty stomach.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Acebutolol will not work if you stop taking it.
- In general, this medication should not be stopped suddenly, as serious problems (including heart attacks) may result.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of acebutolol, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.