Specific Kinds of Heart Disease
Types of Heart Disease Within the Heart Muscle
Types of heart disease that can affect the muscle itself include:
- Cardiomyopathy, such as:
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Restrictive cardiomyopathy
- Myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart muscle.
Heart Disease Types Affecting the Valves
Kinds of heart disease that can affect the heart valves (valvular heart disease) include:
- Mitral stenosis
- Mitral valve regurgitation
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Aortic stenosis
- Aortic regurgitation
- Tricuspid stenosis
- Tricuspid regurgitation
- Rheumatic heart disease, a condition in which the heart valves are damaged from rheumatic fever.
Types of Heart Disease Within the Arteries or Veins
Heart disease types that affect the coronary arteries and veins include:
- Heart attack, also known as a myocardial infarction or MI
- Coronary artery disease (CAD), also known as ischemic heart disease, coronary heart disease (CHD), or just heart disease
- Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries
- Silent ischemia.