Specific Kinds of Heart Disease
Types of Heart Disease Within the Heart Muscle
Types of heart disease that can affect the muscle itself include:
- Cardiomyopathy, such as:
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Restrictive cardiomyopathy
- Myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart muscle.
Heart Disease Types Affecting the Valves
Kinds of heart disease that can affect the heart valves (valvular heart disease) include:
- Mitral stenosis
- Mitral valve regurgitation
- Mitral valve prolapse
- Aortic stenosis
- Aortic regurgitation
- Tricuspid stenosis
- Tricuspid regurgitation
- Rheumatic heart disease, a condition in which the heart valves are damaged from rheumatic fever.
Heart disease types that affect the coronary arteries and veins include:
- Heart attack, also known as a myocardial infarction or MI
- Coronary artery disease (CAD), also known as ischemic heart disease, coronary heart disease (CHD), or just heart disease
- Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries
- Silent ischemia.