Treating People Who Take Too Much Lanoxin

Treating a Lanoxin Overdose

The treatment for a Lanoxin overdose will vary. In cases of chronic toxicity (an overdose over time), if symptoms are mild, the only treatment necessary may be stopping Lanoxin and monitoring for potentially serious symptoms.
 
If the overdose was recent and involved an ingestion of large amounts of Lanoxin, the healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing Lanoxin from the body.
 
Digoxin immune FAB (Digibind®, Digifab®), a digoxin antidote, may be given in cases of very large Lanoxin overdoses. The antidote is used if potentially life-threatening symptoms occur, such as certain types of severe arrhythmias, or are expected to occur.
 
Treatment for any type of overdose typically involves supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an overdose with Lanoxin may include:
 
  • Close monitoring of the heart
  • Close monitoring of blood electrolytes (such as potassium and magnesium)
  • Potassium administration, if needed, for low blood potassium levels (hypokalemia)
  • Use of a temporary pacemaker for heart arrhythmias.
     
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Lanoxin.
 
Life After a Stent: 5 Realistic Ways to Take Charge of Your Health

Lanoxin Drug Information

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.