Heart Home > Amiodarone Overdose
If someone takes too much amiodarone, it can lead to potentially dangerous and even life-threatening complications. Some of the possible problems include vomiting, liver damage, and heart rhythm problems. You should seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have overdosed on amiodarone. You may need to have your stomach "pumped," be given activated charcoal, or receive other methods of supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Amiodarone?Amiodarone (Cordarone®, Pacerone®, Nexterone®) is a prescription medicine approved to treat serious abnormal heartbeats (arrhythmia) when other treatments have been unsuccessful at controlling the arrhythmia.
Effects of an OverdoseAn overdose with amiodarone can lead to potentially serious symptoms. There have even been reports of death in people who took too much. Possible symptoms of an overdose with this medication may include:
- Loss of appetite
- Heart rhythm problems
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Liver damage
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes)
Treatment Options for an Amiodarone OverdoseThe treatment for an amiodarone overdose may vary. In the case of an overdose with the tablets, if the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream. For amiodarone injections, the injection will be slowed down or stopped. Dialysis is not expected to be useful for removing amiodarone from the body.
- Close monitoring of the heart rhythm with an electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Close monitoring of blood pressure
- Close monitoring of the liver
- Intravenous (IV) fluids
- Medications to treat a slow heart rate or low blood pressure, if they occur.