Heart Home > Cordarone Dosage
General Information on Taking CordaroneSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Cordarone include the following:
- This medication comes as a tablet. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You will probably need to stay in the hospital for at least a week when you first start taking Cordarone, so you can be closely monitored as the medication begins to work.
- Do not drink grapefruit juice during Cordarone treatment, as it can affect the level of Cordarone in your body.
- You can usually take this medication with or without food; however, it is important to take it the same way each time. Try taking it with food if it seems to bother your stomach.
- People who take 1000 mg or more of Cordarone, or who experience intolerable gastrointestinal (GI) side effects, should take the medication twice a day with food.
- Try to take your doses at about the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your bloodstream.
- You will likely be started on a high dosage of Cordarone, which will be gradually reduced. Make sure to follow your individual dosage instructions carefully.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking this medication, even if you feel well, as your irregular heartbeat may return.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Cordarone dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.