Heart Home > Important Facts About Heart Murmurs
Key information about heart murmurs includes the following:
- A heart murmur is an extra or unusual sound heard during your heartbeat. Murmurs range from very faint to very loud and sometimes sound like a whooshing or swishing noise.
- Most are harmless (innocent).
- Sometimes, a heart murmur indicates a heart problem, especially if other signs or symptoms are present.
- Innocent murmurs are common in healthy children. A child or adult with an innocent murmur has a normal heart.
- Doctors listen carefully to the heart with a stethoscope to help decide if a murmur is innocent or abnormal.
- Doctors listen to the loudness, location, and timing of the murmur in order to classify and describe the sound.
- Most abnormal murmurs in children are due to congenital heart disease (heart defects present at birth).
- In adults, abnormal murmurs are most often due to heart valve problems caused by infection, disease, or aging.