Heart Home > NitroMist
NitroMist is a mouth spray prescribed to relieve episodes of chest pain (angina). This medicine works by relaxing the arteries and blood vessels in the body to improve blood flow to the heart. You can spray the medicine on or under the tongue up to three times within 15 minutes after chest pain begins. Potential side effects may include headaches, lightheadedness, and fainting.
What Is NitroMist?NitroMist® (nitroglycerin spray) is a prescription mouth spray used to treat attacks of chest pain (angina). It can also be used just before anticipated physical activity, such as exercise or sexual intercourse, to help prevent chest pain.
Who Makes This Medication?NitroMist is made by Dynamit Nobel GmbH for Akrimax Pharmaceuticals, LLC.
How Does NitroMist Work?NitroMist works by relaxing the veins and arteries in the body. With the arteries and veins relaxed, the heart does not need to work so hard and does not require as much oxygen. Because angina is usually caused when there is not enough oxygen to meet the heart's needs, NitroMist can help relieve angina attacks.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with NitroMist include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a liquid that is sprayed on or under the tongue.
- You can use up to three sprays within 15 minutes. If your chest pain is not adequately relieved after one spray, try another. If chest pain continues after a third spray, seek immediate medical attention.
- Alternatively, NitroMist can also be used 5 to 10 minutes before activity that is anticipated to cause chest pain.
- Do not shake the bottle. The first time you use each bottle, you must prime it by spraying it 10 times into the air. Thereafter, you will need to reprime it before use (if you haven't used it in the past six weeks) by spraying it twice into the air.
- Do not rinse or spit for 5 to 10 minutes after using the spray.
- For NitroMist to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.