Heart Home > Rythmol Overdose
It is possible and potentially dangerous to overdose on Rythmol (propafenone). The effects are usually most severe within the first three hours, so seek immediate medical treatment if you believe you have taken too much Rythmol. Possible effects include seizures, confusion, and a coma. A healthcare provider may "pump" the stomach, administer certain medications, or provide supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Rythmol?Rythmol® (propafenone) is a prescription antiarrhythmia medication used in people with certain abnormal heartbeats. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much Rythmol.
Effects of an OverdoseThe symptoms of a Rythmol overdose are usually most severe within the first three hours. Possible symptoms may include:
- Blurred vision
- Low blood pressure, which could cause dizziness
- Slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Heart rhythm problems
- Numbness, tingling, or burning sensations of the skin
Treatment Options for a Rythmol OverdoseIf the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Close monitoring of the heartbeat
- Intravenous (IV) fluids
- Medications to treat arrhythmias if they occur
- Medications, such as diazepam (Valium®), to treat seizures if they occur.