Heart Home > Samsca Side Effects
The prescription medication Samsca was studied in clinical trials where the potential side effects of the drug were documented. In these studies, thirst, dry mouth, and weakness were some of the most commonly reported problems. While most reactions tend to be minor and easy to treat, seek urgent medical treatment if you develop persistent vomiting, seizures, or other serious side effects.
As with any medicine, Samsca® (tolvaptan) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Samsca. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Samsca has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking Samsca were documented and compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients).
In these studies, the most common side effects of Samsca included:
- Thirst -- in up to 16 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 13 percent
- Urinating more often or urinating large amounts of urine -- up to 11 percent
- Weakness or lack of energy -- up to 9 percent
- Constipation -- up to 7 percent
- High blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia) -- up to 6 percent
- Fever -- up to 4 percent
- Decreased appetite -- up to 4 percent.