Heart Home > Samsca
Samsca is prescribed to treat low blood sodium levels in people with certain medical conditions. This medicine comes as a tablet and is taken once a day. Your individual dosage is calculated based on how you respond to the drug and other medications you are taking. Side effects may include thirst, dry mouth, and a lack of energy.
- Samsca comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take this medication with food or on an empty stomach.
- You will need to start Samsca in the hospital so you can be closely monitored at the beginning of treatment.
- Try to take this medication at the same time each day to keep an even level of the drug in your blood.
- You should continue to drink fluids if you are thirsty during treatment with Samsca.
- Do not drink grapefruit juice while taking this medicine. Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of Samsca in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop and restart this medicine on your own. If you stop taking it, you will need to restart it in the hospital.